Wednesday, November 16, 2011

An Anniversary

Exactly two years ago I had my final chemotherapy treatment for triple negative breast cancer. It seems a fitting date to resurrect my blog. Breast cancer has been conquered for now and I have my life back. However, my life is vastly different because I had breast cancer. Just this morning when our cat, Jeremyah, woke us up at 4:45 yowling for us to put food in his dish, I thought about those early mornings during treatment, waking up, alone with my thoughts, unsure of what was coming at me in the days ahead. Here I am, in those days, and it feels good.

I volunteered for a breast cancer walking study, "Moving Forward Together," sponsored by the Centers for Behavioral & Preventative Medicine in Providence, RI. I'm rapidly approaching the goal of walking 5 days each week during this 12-week program. I just completed week 3 and walked 4 days, 2 miles each time. Now that's progress! Considering I could barely walk the length of a football field during and immediately following chemotherapy.

Before cancer, I worked -- the same job I'd had for twenty years. Post cancer, I am retired and busier than ever. I babysit two of my beautiful grandchildren on Mondays and Fridays. I take care of my 86-year old mother in the early stages of Alzheimer's. I am meeting every other week with two close friends as we engage in St. Ignatius exercises using Journey with Jesus: Discovering the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius by Larry Warner. I'm having fun making clothes for my grandchildren as I reengage with Simplicity and Butterick patterns I learned to sew with in 9th grade Home Economics class. Thank you Mrs. Lombard!

My husband and I celebrated our 40th wedding anniversary on October 16, 2011! I feel so blessed to still be married to my best friend, my rock, my support, my devoted husband. Sometimes I don't feel like I don't deserve him, he is so good to me.

So I celebrate two years cancer-free and the new life that breast cancer has unexpectedly brought me to.

2 comments:

  1. This blog is a great source of information which is very useful for me. Thank you.
    BEST INFORMATION ABOUT BREAST CANCER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanku for the info. on breast cancer. My aunt also had chemotherapy treatment for her breast cancer, now she is well recovered...I think its a very horrible situtation....http://cancer-index.com

    ReplyDelete